Monday, September 7, 2009

Paris - Ho Hum

Things have come a long way since I wrote my first blog, “7 month itch” way, way, way back yonder. I reminisced about a certain itch and why I came to Paris. And I also wrote that I was supposed to love this city, because it IS paris. And I also wrote that the experience you have here depends on whom you surround yourself with. Well, after I made these declarations I stopped.

I don’t know why I stopped. I just did. I did want to write something, anything, but it just never happened. Maybe I scratched that itch. Maybe I just didn’t feel like sharing. Selfish me.

Well, many things have happened since then. In fact, yesterday I celebrated two years living in France. Some would say “Yay, how wonderful”, while others, like me, just let it quietly pass by without so much as an acknowledgment of that First Day in France, so to speak. The two years went really fast, that’s for sure.

So starting from today I will commence to write something in this blog occasionally.

What will I write about? Well for a start, Paris is expensive. Really expensive. I was an English Teacher here in Paris and I was poor (the salaries are so low for an English teacher, how the hell do you survive?). I also work in film which makes me the clichéd poor artist. So in the last two years I have been constantly searching for the cheapest way to enjoy myself here in Paris. I say was because I am no longer an English Teacher. My contract ended and I am now unemployed. Which makes me just as poor but just as eager to find the cheapest eateries, bars and entertainment. Life doesn’t have to be boring because you don’t have a lot of money to spend in a city like Paris.

If I find something, I will share it with you. On one condition. I hope you can also share with me what you discover here in paris.
Because living in paris is hard. Especially when you meet people who earn truck loads more than you, and who always suggest to go to restaurants that are just way beyond your budget. Sure, its great reading about certain expats with large budgets having wildly expensive adventures here in paris but for some expats like me, its just not the case.

So I hope you will join me. Solidarity, until next time.

No comments: